Natural Remedies for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
After 40 years, as a result of aging and hormonal production, the prostate begins to increase in size, which can be of two types: benign or malignant. In this article we will focus on the first of them, in the condition that is called benign prostatic hyperplasia. In this case, the prostate enlarges and grows towards the nucleus of this gland, causing a compression in the urethra and hindering urination. Men may have some symptoms such as frequent urination, painful urination and a feeling of not having emptied the bladder completely. In addition to the appropriate medical treatments, it can contribute to the relief of symptoms that causes an enlarged prostate with some home remedies. Keep reading this article about how to find out which are the best natural remedies for benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Table of Contents
Causes and symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia
Among the main causes of benign prostatic hyperplasia are the natural aging process and the presence of male sex hormones or androgens. Although less than half of men with enlarged prostate present symptoms, when they appear they usually include:
- Weak or interrupted urination.
- Difficulties to start urinating.
- Sensation of not emptying the bladder completely.
When there is a retention of urine in the bladder and irritation appears, to the above symptoms can be added the pains when urinating, the urgent need to urinate frequently, especially at night, and the total loss of control of the bladder, condition known as incontinence.
Given these symptoms, it is essential to go to the urologist so that he can assess the degree of benign prostatic hyperplasia and prescribe the most appropriate treatment. Next, we show the best natural remedies that can complement that medical treatment.
Medicinal plants for the enlarged prostate
There are certain medicinal plants that are excellent natural remedies for benign prostatic hyperplasia, thanks to the anti-inflammatory, diuretic and depurative properties they offer. Among the most effective options to promote prostate inflammation, the following stand out.
- Nettle: is a powerful natural diuretic that increases the amount of urine during the day and reduces the constant desire to urinate at night. In addition, it relaxes the bladder and prevents excessive growth of the prostate.
- Horsetail: the diuretic properties of horsetail are perfect to facilitate complete emptying of the bladder and to reduce the pain and symptoms that an enlarged prostate can cause.
- Castiano the India: it stands out for its anti-inflammatory properties, which favor the inflammation of the prostate and reduce that discomfort sensation of not being able to empty the bladder completely.
Prepare an infusion with one of these medicinal plants and take 2 cups a day, one in the morning and another at night to begin to notice the improvements.
Ginger, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
Ginger is a root with multiple benefits for the health of the organism. Among these, it is found to be excellent for the treatment of disorders that the prostate may suffer, which is mainly due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
On the one hand, ginger contains powerful antioxidants that help combat accelerated aging caused by the action of free radicals. On the other hand, its content in vitamin C and zinc can strengthen the immune system and protect the prostate from possible infections and inflammatory processes.
To use ginger as a natural remedy for the enlarged and inflamed prostate, it is best to consume it as an infusion. To prepare, boil 1 liter of water and add a ginger root previously peeled and chopped. Let it cook for about 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it sit for 10 or 15 more minutes. Take two cups a day of this preparation.
You can also start adding ginger to your usual dishes, such as soups or stews, or buy capsules to take it as easily and efficiently as possible.
Before consuming it, inform yourself previously in the following article of what are the contraindications of ginger.
Pumpkin seeds, prevent inflammation of the prostate
The nutritional composition of pumpkin seeds makes them another of the best natural remedies for benign prostatic hyperplasia that can be used. These contain phytosterols and other compounds that help prevent the enlargement of the prostate and its inflammation. In addition, its consumption also allows emptying the bladder completely without having to make so many efforts and improve the other symptoms associated with this condition.
You can consume about 80 g of pumpkin seeds a day, whether raw alone, powdered or mashed accompanying different dishes. You can also prepare an infusion by adding a handful of pumpkin seeds for each cup of water to be heated. You just have to put the water to heat with the seeds and when it breaks to boil, put out the heat and let it rest for about 10 or 15 minutes. Finally, strain the preparation and you can drink it.
Discover more about this food in the article Properties of raw pumpkin seeds.
Seat baths with hot water
Taking sitz baths with hot water is a good way to relieve the symptoms that appear when the prostate increases in size, such as perineal pain and discomfort in the lower back.
To carry them out, you only have to fill the bathtub with hot water and add about 15 g of horsetail and thyme to it. Stay in the tub for about 20 minutes and repeat the bath every day until you notice that the symptoms disappear.
Good food for benign prostatic hyperplasia
In addition to the home remedies for enlarged prostate above, there are some foods that are also of great help to improve this condition that should be incorporated into the usual diet. The most beneficial are:
- Garlic: it is diuretic and antibiotic, so it protects the prostate from bacterial infections and helps to eliminate accumulated liquids, favoring the good flow of urine.
- Tomatoes: contain lycopene, an antioxidant that helps prevent prostate cancer and reduce inflammation of the same.
- Carrot: has detoxifying, anticancer and diuretic properties, so it favors the elimination of liquids and the fact of being able to empty the bladder without major complications.
- Avocados: the plant sterols they contain are excellent for reducing the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia and improving urinary flow.
Discover more foods like these by referring to the article Good foods for the prostate.
If you want to read more articles similar to Natural Remedies for benign prostatic hyperplasia, we recommend you to enter our category of Health .
Article Source: Tape Daily