Stomach Cancer: Know The Risks, Symptoms, And Steps To Prevent
The truth is more than 800,000 deaths take place every year due to stomach cancer after lung cancer. Metastasis (which is spreading of initial tumours to the other body parts) tends to occur in about 80% to 90% of the patients diagnosed with stomach cancer. They have 65% survival rate of six months among those diagnosed during the early stages and lesser than 15% in those diagnosed at later stages. There also have been conducted other studies which show 5% stomach occurs taking place in those under the age of 40. Males are found to be affected with gastric cancer and around three males get affected for each and every female. Women can be protected by oestrogen from developing this form of cancer.
Some possible signs and symptoms of stomach cancer
It is necessary to understand that the signs might show up in various other conditions which could be less serious. It will be useful to visit the best hospital for stomach cancer treatment in India to start immediate treatment to enhance the possibilities of doing away with the issues of this dangerous disease and to lead a second life of happiness and good health.
The initial stage signs
- Appetite loss, mainly meat
- Burning sensation (heartburn) or indigestion
The later stage signs
- Discomfort faced in upper abdomen or abdominal pain
- Vomiting and nausea
- Constipation or diarrhoea
- Stomach getting bloated after having meals
- Loss of weight
- Fatigue and weakness
- Dysphasia (inability to swallow food). The feature tends to suggest presence of tumour in cardia or gastric tumour extension in the oesophagus.
- Bleeding (emitting blood in stool or vomiting blood), thus leading to anaemia.
In order to determine the symptoms and cause, the physician is sure to ask the patient about his/her medical history. Furthermore, several physical tests will be conducted upon along with laboratory studies to confirm the problem. Also, any or probably all of the exams can be ordered upon like the following:
- Upper GI series
- Gastroscopic examination is a wonderful diagnostic method that is preferred by majority of the physicians. It involves fibre optic camera getting inserted into the stomach.
- CT or computed tomography scanning of abdomen to visualize gastric cancer. It can prove to be useful to determine spreading of metastasis to the lymph system or the nearby tissues.
How stomach cancer is caused?
Ulcers are caused due to the presence of helicobacter pylori bacteria in the body. HP (Helicobacter pylori) infection is considered to be the major cause of stomach cancer to take place. HP is said to result due to the stomach lining getting inflamed, thus leading to destruction. It then causes gastric cancer and peptic ulcers.
The qualified, experienced and talented physicians will first carry out different types of examinations on the patients to find the exact symptoms and signs of this disease and accordingly provide the best treatment for stomach cancer. It is very much important for the person to do some research to be informed about the disease and to consult the physician if any such issues are noticed.