Breast Cancer Screening
Screenings of health are basically the tests that are performed in order to find out if there are any symptoms of disease at an early stage. The main aim of screening is to detect the issues at an early stage and lower the risks. In order to accept the screening widely and be recommended by the medical practitioners of medical, there are few criteria that the screening program must meet including the number of deaths that is from the given disease.
What Is Breast Cancer Screening?
The tests that are done in the screening program might include blood tests, other genetic and fluid tests. The genetic tests are one in order to look for any genetic markers that are linked to the disease. Imaging tests are also carried out that produce the pictures of the body. These tests are typically available for all the people, anyone can do it. However, for a special screening of the body an individual, there are certain factors that should be taken into consideration like the gender, age, family history etc.
In case of the breast cancer screening, the woman who has no symptoms of cancer will undergo certain examinations such as
- Clinical Breast Exam: It is a physical examination of the breast by the doctors or other professionals of health
- Mammography: A low energy x-ray exam is done to produce the images of the breast which is called a mammogram. Mammography plays the main role in detecting the breast cancer right at an early stage. This is because they often show changes in the breasts before any physician or doctors can feel them. According to surveys, researchers have proved that having a mammogram once a year helps in detection of cancer at an early stage.
Benefits and Risks Of Breast Cancer Screening
The mammography does not have the positive side only. It has some negative side as well. Mentioned below are few benefits and risks of breast cancer
- While imaging the breasts, the physicians have the options to detect even the smallest tumours. When a cancer is small, the options for treatment are more
- The screening helps in detecting the small and abnormal tissues that are present in the milk ducts of the breasts.
- The early stage of a tumour doesn’t harm any patient. There are very cases when a patient is being harmed
- Mammography is the reason to decrease the number of deaths that happen due to breast cancer
- The radiation doesn’t remain in the body of the patient after the x-ray examination
- There is always a little chance of having cancer due to excess counter with the radiation. However, the amount of radiation present in a mammogram is very small and the benefit of the accurate diagnosis will outweigh any risks
- The dose of the effective radiation procedure varies. You can check the safety page to learn more breast cancer screening Singapore.
- Women should always inform their physician or x-ray technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant. See the Safety page for more information about pregnancy and x-rays.
So, it was all about the breast cancer and its screening. Screening has benefits and risks as well. But the risk is worth taking. Women should learn more about breast cancer screening Singapore to know all the benefits and the risks factors.